HISTORY OF BROAD & MARKET
The Four Corners Historic District at the intersection of Broad and Market Streets is the site of the City’s earliest settlement. It was once the busiest intersection in the United States.
As the heart of downtown, Broad and Market Streets became the focal point of Newark after its establishment in 1666. During the next centuries, Newark expanded around Broad and Market. At the turn of the 19th and 20th century the Four Corners Historic District became Newark’s modern business district where its first skyscraper was built by the Fireman’s Insurance Company in 1910.
The district houses many buildings which are listed on the National and State Registers of Historic Places including, The Newark Paramount Theatre, Newark Symphony Hall and The Prudential Insurance Company. Today this area is vital in the City’s redevelopment.
A special thanks to Dr. Clement A. Price, Ulana Zakalak and The Newark Public Library for assisting with historic research!
Read the article ‘Newark Long Ago’ produced in 1975 by The Newark Museum Quarterly
Historic images of Broad & Market Streets